Kailo Training Institute is committed to helping adult learners acquire counselling skills rooted in Christian values to enhance Pastoral insight, wisdom, wholeness and growth.
Kailo Training Institute offers adult education based on the principle of lifelong learning. Lifelong learning focus on learning that takes place in all contexts in life – formally, non-formally and informally. It includes learning behaviours and obtaining knowledge, skills, understanding, attitudes, values and competencies for personal growth, spiritual, social and wholistic well-being.
The underlying objectives Kailo Training Institute aims to inform are to help learners to achieve their full potential through quality education, training and recognition of prior learning.
- To encourage a passion for life and self-respect.
- To maintain a participatory ministry ethic.
- To provide a training culture in which learners can excel.
- To treat others with respect and dignity.
- To learn to accept and embrace change and challenges in life.
- To mature in a dynamic relationship with God and to fulfil their God-given calling.
Kailo Training Institute teaches Biblical-based wisdom for ministry through a sound theoretical and practical foundation with reverence for the priesthood of every believer under knowledgeable leadership honouring God-triune.
The main objective of Kailo Training Institute is to nurture and equip Christian Pastoral Counsellors with knowledge, skills, attitudes and values to be able to bring hope in a hurting society. This sentiment is anchored in the word “kailo”.
Kailo which means whole, uninjured or a good sign, and from which the English words health, holy and whole came.
The kind of wholeness and health Kailo Training Institute envisages is found in Isaiah 61: 1-3:
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
The most important passion we can present is to help people to come into a dynamic relationship with God and the aim is to train people with a God-given calling to counselling to bring hope.
The company logo consists of four elements signifying the vision.
The foundational elements are the three spheres in the middle because they illustrate Kailo Training Institute’s roots in believing in a triune God.
The leaves at the top represent new growth and renewed hope.
The middle sphere denotes the principle of being fruitful because this ministry is rooted in a fundamental relationship with God.
The bottom part of the image is a book that supports all the elements is the Bible which we see as the Christian Pastoral Counsellor’s handbook.
Kailo Training Institute is the confluence of many years of ministry, training and studying. Wynand and Barbara Louw start ministering, studying and working together in the early 1980s. They shared the vision to make a difference in people’s lives and to help them to grow in a dynamic relationship with God and other people.
This vision got shaped by being involved with various ministries, organisations and congregations over the years. They are founding members of Inter Trauma Nexus NPC (ITN) in 1998. ITN was registered and aligned with the South African Crime Prevention Strategy’s Victim Empowerment Programme. For the next 12 years, the management team of ITN was involved in police station based victim support and training for community members to offer support to victims. This Programme was very successful, but financial challenges were rife.
Despite the challenges of a changing season in the ministry, the vision remained the same, to help people to put the trauma behind them and to find hope. They believe it is possible to grow from traumatic experiences to wellness through wholeness. ITN still specializes in Victim Support, Trauma and Crisis management, specialised pastoral counselling, coaching and mentoring. This is achieved by offering topic-specific training, support groups and a wide range of services to schools, churches and other organisations.
After many years in the ministry the conclusion is that, by the grace of our Lord, this God-given passion and purpose is as important today as when they started. However, training for ministry in Christian Pastoral Counselling is not a simple matter.
The challenge is in the first place that this is a non-secular training field. Many institutions choose to package Christian Pastoral Counselling as a single topic with all other kinds of subjects that have little to do with this unique Christian Ministry.
Another challenge is that adults who have a calling to help people are seldom able to attend residential training facilities. They have limited time and resources, because of their existing responsibilities. They need open learning prospects that have training opportunities that are suitable for the context of their lives. They need training that is practical and applicable while being sensitive to their calling and the realities of the people they wish to help.
Kailo Training Institute encourages multi-vocational ministries like missionaries, pastors, educators, volunteers and caregivers who work to sustain their families and other people. This creates opportunities to help a diverse population in a variety of settings and capacities. The leadership team have been in this form of ministry from the beginning.
Non-traditional forms of ministry and learning make it possible for people to live their dreams and fulfil their calling to help people who cannot be reached in traditional ways. Ministering in the 21st century necessitates increasing skill, wisdom and accountability to ensure that people are liberated from the burdens of pain and bondage.
Kailo Training Institute started this counselling school to train people in Christian Pastoral Counselling because there is not enough counsellors, supporters and volunteer who are equipped to help people to heal.
The goals for the Christian Pastoral Counselling training Programmes are:
- To provide Christian Pastoral Counselling learners with a Programme with sufficient Biblical content, theoretical knowledge and practical skills to make a difference in their communities.
- To offer Christian Pastoral Counselling learners with a sound foundation to advance to specialized interest in the ministry of pastoral care and counselling such as trauma, children, family, dependency and addiction, deliverance and other human needs.
- To provide an interdisciplinary training framework to enable the learner to interact and network with professionals from other disciplines.
- To equip Christian Pastoral Counsellors for the transformative leadership practises of an ethical Christian Ministry.
- To graduate Christian Pastoral Counsellors capable of offering excellent counselling competence and compassion.
Training at Kailo Training Institute is organized to offer a balanced and practical Programme of learning to facilitate successful learner engagement and completion of studies. The main components are:
- Academic and studying skills
- Biblical foundation
- Ethical Christian Ministry grounding
- Theoretical and practical components
- Personal and Pastoral growth coaching
- Supervisory support
All the modules are outcomes-based with continuous assessments and assignments.
Modules form part of a year curriculum and are not available as individual units.
Post-graduate curricula are available on a receipt of an Expression of Interest.
Upon successful completion of the first year of study learners who are in good standing can earn a Certificate from Therapon University.
After completing the second year of study learners who are in good standing can earn a Diploma from Therapon University.
Once the third year of study is completed learners who are in good standing can earn a Higher Diploma from Therapon University.
After completing the fourth year of study learners who are in good standing can earn a Bachelors Degree from Therapon University.
Learners who utilise post-graduate opportunities have to complete a successful recognition of prior learning (RPL) process, complete course modules and successfully complete a dissertation or thesis to earn either a Masters, Doctorate or PhD degree.
The Programmes may interest you if:
- You have a God-given calling to help people to become whole and well.
- You are seeking an in-depth understanding of Christian Pastoral Counselling to support your ministry.
- You are a pastor, missionary educator, manager or in other helping services who want to upskill yourself to deal with the needs of the people in your care.
- You want to develop as a counsellor within the team where you are volunteering or the organisation where you serve.
- You are located in an area where there is no counselling school or training opportunities.
- You want to keep working on your vocation and keep your commitments while you expand your knowledge and skills.
Kailo Training Institute offers non-secular qualifications with a specific ministry focus within a Christian paradigm.
This institute does not offer or promise any form of employment, registration or residency.
You can express your interest in studying with Kailo Training Institute and participate in a preliminary interview. This interview allows you to ask questions and share your plans, before making any commitment. During this interview, the facilitator will discuss the detail of the financial commitment to ensure that there is no hidden cost or costly surprises.
The Programmes are suitable for you if:
- You are eager to grow in your relationship with God and your God-given calling.
- You are passionate about helping people.
- You are keen to learn new capabilities and enjoy reading.
- You are currently engaging in counselling in your context.
- You want to develop your knowledge and skills as a Christian Pastoral counsellor.
Post-graduate opportunities are open for people who already have other qualifications. There is a process where prior learning and experience can be assessed and evaluated for access to post-graduate qualifications.
The best way to determine if this Programme is right for you is to start the Expression of Interest process today and arrange to talk to one of the facilitators.
If you are interested to study with Kailo Training Institute the process is:
- Submit your Expression of Interest by sending your form, the mark sheet/transcription from the last institution where you studied and your CV.
- Arrange a preliminary interview. The outcome of the preliminary interview will be sent via email within a week.
- If the interview is concluded successfully you receive an invitation to enrol with the cost schedule and payment options.
- Register online.
- Payment of your registration fee plus the first month’s module fee.
- Complete orientation process
Please note that the preliminary selection process allows facilitators to identify qualifying learners. Selection for the Programmes is at the discretion of the faculty leaders.
The course fees include an annual registration fee, fee for the specific year’s modules and the certification fee (in US dollars).
Other expenses that a learner can incur is the cost of recommended books, internet access and expenditure to attend the annual graduation ceremony.
The payment for the specific year’s modules is divided into 10 monthly instalments. This financial model is designed to mitigate the learner’s financial concerns and to make studying opportunities affordable.
A formal quotation will be issued before application.
The cost for post-graduate opportunities will be negotiated with learners according to the individual learning path.
Kailo Training Institute uses a wide variety of payment options.
Kailo Training Institute’s website offers general information, articles as well as important policies and procedures.
Kailo Training Institute utilises an online Learner Management System (LMS).
The modules are structured to train counsellors and facilitate the following:
- Flow in a logical order
- Interactive sessions with facilitators
- A chronological process flow through the modules and topics
- Continuous assessment and assignments
- Friends of Inter Trauma Nexus is a daily electronic newsletter of encouragement that is available in English or Afrikaans.
- All students will have access as affiliates to the Association of Christian Ministries for the duration of their studies.
- In this age of Social Media Kailo Training Institute offers regular talks like on Facebook Live.
Success in studying includes family support. The abovementioned daily electronic newsletter and social media are open to your family and friends. You are welcome to share the links and messages with your support system and help them to understand what you are working on.
Unique orientation process to ensure successful learner engagement. Services are made tangible, reliable and structured to help learners to keep momentum.
Topics covered in the annual orientation included:
- Time frames
- Time management
- LMS how to use
- Continuous assessment and assignments
- Technology-enhanced learning
- Work-study and family balance
- Policies and procedures
Kailo Training Institute equips people to realise their God-given calling to have a dynamic life and help others.
Acts 1:8 NIV
Real people counselling to bring hope.
Kailo Training Institute (2021/969214/07)
PO Box 165, Garsfontein, Pretoria, South Africa